Saturday, September 19

Fatal if Swallowed

I once had a kindergartner who loved to eat anything and everything. Wally was his name. Whatever it was that was put in front of him, it was guaranteed to end up in his stomach. For this reason, Wally had an aide with him during the school day.

The first time I learned of Wally's habits was when I set a container of crayons down on each table. Some crayons were old and some were new. Without any warning, Wally picked up a crayon without a wrapper on it and popped it into his mouth. The aide immediately reached her hand in and fished the slime-covered crayon out.

Another time, we were using white craft glue for an assignment. After carefully applying glue to the backs of papers, Wally would also have small amounts of glue on his fingers. He would very delicately lick each finger that got glue on it as if he were eating a sweet treat like icing or melted chocolate. No reason to be concerned, however because the glue was non-toxic.

One time I got too close. While helping Wally with his project, I felt a tug at my ID tag which hung around my neck. Wally had found my ID tag and was smelling it, then preparing to take a bite of it. I snapped it away just in time.

Finally, while using clay, Wally decided he'd have a little taste of the exciting new pliable material. At first, I was concerned, but his aide informed me that he eats any number of things that are potentially harmful or dangerous in any given day, so the nurse administers a shot that negates any side affects from these harmful ingestions.

And I thought my lunch was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment