Thursday, November 12

Armstrong's Successor

After sitting in conferences all day, watching merciless teachers sting parents with feedback about their child, making fun of the students and parents in between conferences, and complaining, I decided to share the following story over our department dinner:

During class yesterday, Barb, a student, asked where Jane, another student, had been. She commented on how Jane has been absent a lot lately.

I concurred..."Why yes, Jane will not be back. She has moved."

"Really? Where?" Barb asked.

"Well, her family moved to the moon," I replied.

"Nooo! That's not possible!" said Barb.

"Well, actually it is. They built a space station to see if humans can survive on the moon. Since her parents are both scientists and astronauts, they volunteered to live on the moon, and Jane is now going to school there."

"Ohhhhh......hmmm..." She was stumped, still not fully believing or disagreeing.

Now, in my head, I really meant to say, "hahaha, I'm just kidding." But I was stumped myself that she actually might have believed what I was saying and didn't question me further. I was speechless and did not get a chance to admit that it was a joke.


During dinner, as I finished my story, my co-workers began to tell me how terrible I was and how they couldn't believe I would do such a thing. Do you think they offer pottery class on the moon?

No comments:

Post a Comment