Tuesday, November 10

Beware of Flying Debris

I don't usually laugh or even smile while teaching. Mostly because it's not fun, but also because I'm close to the age of the students, so if I show that I have human emotion, there will be a mutiny.

One of the two times that I laughed involved an interaction with a special needs student. As I teach, I wander through the classroom, partially for proximity control and partially because I get bored standing in one place all the time. As the rest of the students were busy taking notes, the special education students were focusing on coloring with markers. As I rounded their table, I saw something fly past my head. I look to the floor to see a marker rolling across the ground. I look for the source of the marker and don't see one. I take another step, and I see one of the special needs girls pick up a marker and quickly throw it over her shoulder behind her head. This second marker hits me right in the chest, and I burst into uncontrolled laughter. I excuse myself and regain my composure in the hallway, but at that point, it’s too late. The students have already seen me laugh and know that I can smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment