Monday, November 2

X - Acto Knife Wallpaper

While still in high school, I took an art class at the local university.

In the class, we were given toothpicks, Popsicle sticks, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, paint, etc. and a hot glue gun. With these supplies, we were to construct a small “found object” sculpture. Bored with these parameters and materials, I decided to create a truly “found object” sculpture. I found a CD case with a CD in it and hot glued the case and the CD to the wall of the classroom. Then I went outside with a Styrofoam cup and filled it with cigarette butts from an ashtray and hot glued that to the wall. Then I found an unopened pack of paintbrushes, filled it with hot glue, and then glued that to the wall. By the time I was done, there were pamphlets, crackers, acorns, a shoe, and an X-Acto knife all glued to the wall and a cinder block ProBonded to the floor.

The teacher of the class loved it, called it “extremely intuitive,” and called other professors in to see the work. The sculpture, created as a joke, was left up for the remainder of the semester and part of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment