Monday, November 16

Old Before Our Time

My first year of teaching, I lived in a small town where I knew nobody. I quickly made friends with other first-year teachers who were in similar situations.

One Friday, in late fall, the group of us went to happy hour at the local Chili’s after work. We stayed for an hour or two then went to a teacher’s apartment to relax and hang out some more. After a few more hours, we were starting to get tired. It was dark outside. We were certain it was really late, and we were preparing to go our separate ways.

Finally, somebody looked at the clock. It wasn’t 11:30 pm as somebody had guessed. It wasn’t even eleven. Ten o’clock would have been fine too. It wasn’t nine. We were shocked and horrified to discover that it was 8:32 pm.

What happened to us? Why were we all exhausted… before nine? Is this what real life is like?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous25.11.09

    Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. LOL. I have a good night when I go to bed at 9.

    ReplyDelete