Thursday, October 22

It's All about the Students, sometimes

I’ve heard time and time again from teachers that their work is, “all about the kids -- It’s for the children -- It’s really about the students.” Well, it is. But it’s also about me, the teacher.

It’s about me having job security and a job that has benefits. Many people are out of work right now, and many employers don’t provide healthcare for their employees. As a result, people cannot afford to have regular teeth cleanings, have their eyes checked, or have life-saving procedures done. So this job is definitely about me.

It’s about me being able to use the degree that I spent four years and x thousand dollars to acquire. I will be paying for the degree over the next ten years, so to be able to make money to do that, makes my job about me very much so.

It’s about me being able to support myself and my family. I must, if I have one, provide for my family. I must be able to keep them healthy, feed them, and provide a home for them. This job ensures my ability to do these things for the people who are important to me. This job is about them.

It’s about me contributing to the youth of society and the society itself. These children that I teach will soon become the adults of the world. Whatever I instill into them during their formative years, I am instilling into my future and the future of society. I must be a good role model for them for society’s and my sake.

It’s about me feeling satisfaction when a student finally grasps a concept that they’ve been having trouble with. I can explain something to a child five different ways without any indication that they understand. At last, during explanation number six, when that student finally understands, personal gratification is mine.

I’m happy to make a difference in a student’s life. I’m happy to teach them. The job is about them to an extent. But only to an extent. The job is mostly about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment